Pumpkin Gnocchi with Huckleberry Sauce and Apple Frizzles
- 2# Idaho potatoes
- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups high gluten flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh Idaho huckleberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 apples, core removed and julienne
- Oil for frying
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and dice potato. Boil potatoes until fork tender, strain and pat dry. Halve pumpkin, brush with oil and roast in oven for 45 minutes in a 300 degree oven. Once pumpkin is cooled spoon out flesh, and puree. In a bowl mash potatoes, then add one cup of pumpkin, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg, mixing well. Add eggs and mix again. Reserve one cup of flour. Add remaining flour one cup at a time. Roll gnocchi dough out into half inch ropes, using reserved flour to keep dough from sticking together. Cut ropes into one inch segments. Cook gnocchi pieces in boiling water. Once gnocchi starts to float remove from water and cool quickly.
- In a small sauce pan dissolve sugar in water over low heat. Once sugar is dissolved add huckleberries and reduce to syrup.
- After apple is cored and julienned oven dry apples @ 250* for 10 to 15 minutes. In sauté pan heat oil and then add apples. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove and immediately toss in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Finish and Service:
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan, sauté gnocchi until golden brown. Divide gnocchi into six portions and top with huckleberry sauce and apple frizzles.