Acorn Squash Oatmeal Bowl
A warm and hearty fall/winter breakfast
Prep Time 30 min
Cook Time 1 hr 15 min
- 1 small acorn squash, any variety
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 c. oatmeal, uncooked
- 2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Dried cranberries (optional)
- Walnuts, chopped (optional) Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the acorn squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out stringy pulp and seeds. Score the insides of each half with a knife.
- Place the halves in a baking pan with the cut side facing up. Add ¼ inch water to the pan to avoid burning and drying out squash.
- Coat inside of each half with ½ tbsp. butter, 1 tbsp. brown sugar and 1 tsp. maple syrup.
- Bake for an hour or until squash is soft and browned.
- While squash is cooling, cook oatmeal in water as directed.
- Once oatmeal is cooked, add the milk and the rest of the brown sugar and stir.
- Pour oatmeal into the acorn squash and top with dried cranberries, walnuts and additional maple syrup if desired.