Beer Garlic and Chive Cheddar Soup
Adapted from Gartisan by Glanbia
- 4 oz. butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz. domestic beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion (diced 1/2" inch)
- 8 oz. diced ham
- 1 baguette sliced in 1/2" to 1" pieces
- 18 thinly sliced Garlic & Chive Cheddar slices (about 2" wide)
- 5 oz. grated Garlic & Chive Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir in evenly. Continue to stir for 2 minutes and add chicken stock and beer. Stir continuously until boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to stir often.
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions together. Cook onions until translucent, around 2-3 minutes. Add ham and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and ham to chicken stock mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While soup simmers, place croutons (sliced baguette pieces) on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle remaining olive oil over each piece evenly. Bake in the over for 5 minutes.
- Remove croutons from oven and place one piece of thinly sliced Garlic & Chive Cheddar Cheese on the top of each crouton. Return to the oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted through. Remove from oven, set aside.
- After soup has simmered for 15 minutes, turn off heat, stir in grated Garlic & Chive Cheddar Cheese until well blended.
- Dish up the soup (add a little more cheese for garnish if you must) and serve with open faced grilled croutons on the side. Enjoy!