Beets and Greens Salad
A fresh fall beet salad with arugula, goat cheese and honey.
- 5 small golden or mixed colored beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz baby arugula leaves (about 2 handfuls), washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 oz fresh Idaho goat cheese, crumbled
- Idaho honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse the beets and cut off the greens, saving them for another use. Rub the beets with 1 tbsp olive oil, wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet (in case they leak). Bake until you can pierce through the middle of each beet with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool. (This can be done in advance.)
- While beets are in oven, prepare the dressing. Mix the remaining 2 tbsp oil with 1/4 cup rice vinegar and sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the beets are cool, use a paring knife to remove the skins, which should peel off easily. Cut beets into small wedges.
- Add beet wedges to a mixing bowl and toss with chopped arugula and sunflower seeds and dressing. Toss well to combine.
- Divide into serving dishes, top with goat cheese, drizzle with honey and serve.