Caramelized Red Onion and Apple Grilled Cheese
A sweet and savory grilled cheese sandwich using Idaho apples, onions, cheese, butter and bread.
Yield 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices hearty, whole grain bread (Zeppole, Alpicella, Great Harvest Bread Co.)
- 2 thick slices Idaho cheddar cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp butter (Meadowgold, Darigold, High Desert)
- 1 tart Idaho apple, sliced (Henggeler Packing Co, Kelley's Canyon Orchard, Ribier Gardens, Symms Fruit Ranch)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (Owyhee Produce)
- Lightly spray with a skillet with non-stick spray.
- Add sliced onion to skillet over medium heat.
- Cook onions until soft, light brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally - about minutes. Set aside.
- Toast bread lightly in the toaster so it is more crisp (optional).
- Lightly spread butter on one side of each slice.
- With the skillet over medium, add two slices of bread buttered side down and top each with one slice of cheese. Then top with a healthy portion of caramelized onion and sliced apple and top with the other slice of bread - buttered side up.
- Cook on each side until golden brown and crisp - 2-3 minutes - being careful not to burn.
- Cut each sandwich into fours and serve as an appetizer.