Herb Crusted Idaho Trout with Lentil/Bean Ragout
- 1 c. green French lentils
- ½ c. black beans
- 3 strips smoked bacon, cut small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels cut off cob
- 1 large or 2 small ripe tomatoes OR cherry tomatoes
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ¼ c. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp. onion greens, sliced thin
- 6 boned trout filets, approx. 6-8 oz. each
- ½ c. buttermilk
- 1.2 c. crisp, dry breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, savory, or thyme, or a combination
- 3 Tbsp. (approx.) butter and olive oil (combined) for sautéing
To Prepare Lentil & Bean Ragout:
- Simmer lentils in enough water to cover, with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; water should be mostly absorbed. Set aside. Cook black beans in water with salt and pepper to taste until tender. Pour off cooking liquid and set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat to render out fat; add diced onion and garlic, cook in bacon fat until tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add corn kernels and cook briefly with bacon and onion, adjusting seasoning to taste. Add lentils and black beans to vegetables and bacon, heat together. Stir in cream and mustard until smooth, adjusting seasoning to taste. Stir in tomato, parsley and onion greens (if using). Hold Ragout warm if ready to serve; refrigerate for a few days if preparing in advance.
To Prepare Trout:
- Combine all dried spices and herbs with breadcrumbs. Set aside. Make sure trout filets have pin bones removed. Keep refrigerated until ready to cook. When ready to cook, season trout filets with salt and pepper to taste. Dip each filet in buttermilk, then dredge with breadcrumb mixture. Sauté trout in butter and olive oil skin side down first, then flip to finish other side.
- Serve Trout over mound of Lentil and Bean Ragout with fresh green salad on the side.