Idaho Basque Jambalaya
A slightly spicy dish with Idaho barley, lentils, chorizo, ham and veggies.
- 1/4 cup butter (High Desert, Cloverleaf, Darigold, Meadowgold)
- 8 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 lb chorizo (Falls Brand)
- 2 cups ham, diced (Falls Brand, Sneadaker's Fine Swine)
- 4 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup cajun or blackened seasoning
- 1 cup cooked barley (Kauffman Farms)
- 1 cup cooked lentils (Zursun, 13 Foods)
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, peppers, onions, celery and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender.
- Add chorizo and ham and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix in stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock and Cajun spice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add half of the cooked barley and half of the lentils and continue to simmer and stir.
- Add the remaining barley and lentils if needed to create a stew-like consistency and heat through.
- Remove from heat and serve.