Idaho Corned Beef
Adapted from homecooking.about.com
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 15 min
Total Time 30 min
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon saltpeter (see note 1 below)
- 2 Idaho beef briskets, about 4 pounds each (see note 2 below)
- 12 Idaho garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 8 bay leaves
- Boil water. Add salt and saltpeter, stir to dissolve and set aside to cool. Place brisket in a large crock, zipper-style plastic bag or other non-metallic container. Pour salt water over meat and add garlic, pickling spices and bay leaves. Meat should be submerged; use a weighted jar to hold meat under pickling solution. Refrigerate or set in a cool place for 3 weeks. Drain and remove bay leaves before cooking.
- Saltpeter is known commercially as potassium nitrate and is used to give the meat a pink color.