Idaho Shepherd’s Pie
- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup White Cheddar Cheese
- Seasoning salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 lb. of local ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ to 1 cup Ballard white cheddar cheese for the top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bring salted water to boil, add Idaho potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, peel and mash. Mix in butter, onion Ballard cheese, seasoning salt and pepper.
- Bring salted water to boil, add peeled carrots and cook until tender. Drain and mash.
- Heat oil; add onion and garlic cook until clear. Add local ground beef and cook until browned.
- Strain of excess fat. Add seasoning salt and pepper to taste. Add the flour, ketchup and beef broth.
- Simmer 5 minutes or until reduced.
- Layer local Beef in bottom of casserole dish. Spread the layer of mashed carrots then followed by a sprinkle of peas. Op with Idaho Potato mixture. Sprinkle with Ballard cheese on the top.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cheese has melted down.
- Enjoy the Idaho Shepard’s pie with wine! During the summer pair with a Dry Viognier from Cinder Wines and in the fall pair with cabernet Sauvignon from Snake River Winery.
- potatoes, onions, garlic, peas and carrots can be purchased at your local Farmers Market along with local ground beef.