Pork Rack with Asparagus Slaw
A juicy and flavorful Idaho pork rack that can be roasted or grilled with local asparagus slaw perfect for outdoor dinners and picnics.
Yield 6-8 servings
- 1 (approx 5#) Falls Brand/Salmon Creek Farms Pork Rack
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 springs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Kosher Salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 apples, finely diced
- Sawtooth Riesling
- 2 bunches Idaho asparagus, trimmed and sliced thinly with vegetable peeler
- 1 tart Idaho apple, finely chopped (dip in water/citric acid solution to keep from browning)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, julienned
- ½ cup Idaho mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix garlic, rosemary, olive oil and salt and pepper to form a paste. Coat roast evenly with herb paste.
- Place pork in a roasting pan. Cook, uncovered, until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F for medium or 155 degrees for medium well - about 1 1/2 hours.
- When done, remove the pork from the pan and transfer it to a rack set over a baking sheet. Cover with vented foil and let rest for at least 15 minutes (the internal temp will increase by at least 5 or 10 degrees).
- Deglaze roasting pan with 2 cups Sawtooth Riesling wine. Add 2 diced apples and reduce for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- While pork is roasting, make asparagus slaw: Cut asparagus, apple, scallions and carrots per above. Whisk mint, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss vegetables with dressing to combine.
- For service, cut roast into individual single bone chop servings. Place ½ -3/4 cup slaw on plate, top with pork chop and drizzle with wine reduction.
- Pair with Sawtooth Winery CLASSIC FLY GEWURZTRAMINER