Potato and Pea Salad
A deliciously light springtime version of a traditional favorite
- 5 medium red potatoes
- 1/2 cup Danish Pearl Cheese, cut into small cubes (Ballard Cheese)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, stems and strings removed
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons stone ground Dijon-style mustard (Wagner Mustard)
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (Purple Sage Farms)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large saucepan bring 1 quart of water to a boil.Cut potatoes in half and carefully place in boiling water. Boil potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain water from pan and allow potatoes to cool.
- Cut potatoes into cubes and place in a medium salad bowl.
- Add peas and cheese cubes to potatoes.
- In a small bowl mix vinegar, mustard, shallots, dill, celery seed and salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour the oil in while beating vinegar mixture with a wire whisk. Whisk until dressing has emulsified. Pour the dressing over the potato pea mixture just until all ingrdients are lightly coated.
- Let salad chill 1-2 hours before serving.
- Idaho is famous for its potatoes and ranks first in the nation, producing nearly 1/3 of all potatoes grown in the US. If Idahoans had to consume all the potatoes we grow in our state, we would each have to eat 49 potatoes every day!!