October is National Farm to School Month
October is National Farm to School Month and this year Idaho Preferred® is excited to announce the kick-off of a state-wide Idaho Farm to School Month initiative. Farm to School is a program led by the United States Department of Agriculture focused on incorporating local foods into school nutrition programs across the country. This mission is accomplished through local food procurement, school gardens and food education in the classroom. Idaho Preferred® will help all schools in Idaho take part in this celebration of local foods and incorporate Idaho agriculture into their cafeteria menus, classroom curriculum and physical activities!
Our team is working diligently to promote this year’s National Farm to School month theme: one small step. With this theme we are encouraging schools to take one small step toward incorporating local foods at breakfast, lunch or snack time to the best of their ability, even if it means just adding one new local food to the menu!
For more information about the Farm to School initiative, visit the National Farm to School Network website and check out their great resources.
2016 Idaho Farm to School Resources
Click on the buttons below to find easy-to-adapt resources to take one small step and implement Idaho Farm to School Month in your school!
Is Your School Participating in Farm to School?
Let us know! Please take this brief, 3 question survey.
What is Farm to School?
Farm to School is a term to describe a broad spectrum of efforts to connect local food and agriculture with schools, students and teachers.
Why is Farm to School important?
- Provides a unique opportunity to teach required curriculum content in a creative, applied and engaging manner
- Increases healthy food options for students
- Provides a relevant market for local farmers
- Increases awareness and understanding of the relationship of food and farms
What Farm to School Resources are available?
- Idaho Farm to School Manual
- Incredible Edible Idaho Poster Series
- My Idaho Plate
- Idaho Agriculture in the Classroom Teacher Training
- Marketing materials for school cafeterias using local foods – Contact Idaho Preferred