Grilled Beef Tri-Tip with potato and vegetable Salad
- 2 lb. yukon gold potatoes
- 2 ea. small green & yellow zucchini
- 1 med. red onion
- 3 Tbsp. (approx.) cider vinegar
- 2/3 c. (approx.) mayonnaise
- ¼ c. (approx.) Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili flake (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. paprika or chili powder
- 1 c. plus approx. 2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. chopped Italian (flatleaf) parsley, other garden herbs: savory, thyme, basil etc.
- 4-5 lb. beef tri tip steaks
- salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare Potato Vegetable Salad:
- Rub Yukon gold potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a 350’ oven until tender, approx. 40 minutes depending upon size. Set aside to cool. Cut zucchini into ½ inch dice. Sauté briefly until just tender in olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool. Dice cooked potatoes into ½ inch dice, combine with cooked zucchini. Dice red onion into ¼ inch dice; mix with potatoes and zucchini. Stir in cider vinegar, mayonnaise and mustard to taste, adjusting salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add any other seasonings you like. Set aside, chilled until service.
To Prepare Chimichurri Sauce:
- Combine garlic, chili flake, paprika, 1 c. oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste; anticipate the heat from the chili flake to infuse and become stronger over time. Stir in parsley and other herbs if using. Hold refrigerated if prepared a few days in advance. Hold at room temp if using within an hour or two.
To Prepare Tri Tip:
- Rub with salt and pepper to taste before cooking, setting aside to marinate. Heat grill or smoker and cook steaks to medium rare. Rest before slicing so juices reabsorb into meat.
- Mound Potato-Vegetable Salad on plates. Fan sliced Tri Tip Steaks over salad. Drizzle meat with Chimichurri Sauce, and have remaining sauce available for guests to add as they wish.