- Serves: 16
- Yield: 48 tacos - 3 tacos per serving
- 12 (6 oz.) Idaho Rainbow Trout Butterfly Style
- 4 fresh limes
- ¼ cups granulated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound Idaho onions
- 1 large head cabbage, thinly sliced- (Available at your local Farmers Market)
- 1 bunch Cilantro, coarsely chopped- (Available at your local Farmers Market)
- 48 4.5” white street taco Idaho tortillas (or 48 leaves of Idaho Lettuce)
- 2 cups Idaho Sour Cream
- The Idaho Wine Commission suggests pairing a glass of Albariño from Snake River Winery with these Idaho trout tacos.
- Serving Size: 3 tacos
- Substitute Idaho tortilla with Idaho-grown butterhead lettuce for a delicious, carb-conscious taco alternative.
Place trout filets in large shallow pan.
Combine garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper and sprinkle over fish filets.
Set aside in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
Combine cabbage, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl, squeeze with juice from one lime. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
Heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush with oil. Cook fish about 3 – 5 minutes per side until done.
Remove trout from grill, squeeze lime juice over cooked filets and break into bite sized pieces.
Heat tortillas briefly on warm grill.
Divide each trout filet between 3 tortillas (or leaves of lettuce).
Top each fish taco with cabbage-onion slaw, sour cream and salsa.