Baked Zucchini Pasta
A fresh green and yellow zucchini pasta recipe the entire family will love.
- 1lb whole wheat pasta
- 1 jar (24 oz) red pasta sauce
- 2 small fresh zucchini - 1 green, 1 yellow - cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste.
- Add pasta to boiling water, stir gently. Return to a boil and cook to "al dente" texture, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 11 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Drain well.
- Add pasta sauce to hot pasta and toss gently. Pour pasta with sauce into a rectangular casserole dish, set aside.
- In a frying pan, sautée zucchini slices in 2 tbsp olive oil. Lightly season with freshly ground salt and pepper. Toss occasionally and cook until tender, but not too soft (approx 5 minutes).
- Remove zucchini from pan, and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven broiler on high.
- Arrange sautéed zucchini slices on pasta in casserole dish, alternating between yellow and green slices. Top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and sliced basil.
- Put casserole dish in oven for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and zucchini is slightly browned and crisp. Remove from oven and serve immediately.