- 4 cups Idaho® potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 4 ounces mild cheddar Idaho cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Idaho Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Idaho grown broccoli, cooked and “riced” (diced fine)
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 local eggs, lightly whisked
- Canola oil
- Other great substitutions for the broccoli are riced cauliflower, finely diced Idaho grown zucchini or carrots.
Featured Idaho Produce
In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cheeses, finely diced broccoli, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, and the salt and pepper.
Quickly give it a taste, adjust seasoning if needed, then add in the lightly whisked eggs and mix until well combined.
Place the remaining 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
In a heavy duty skillet, or Dutch oven, heat 2 – 3 inches of oil over medium-high heat.
Using a 1-inch scoop, shape potato mixture into balls and gently roll each one in the bread crumbs to lightly coat.
Add the potato nugget balls in batches to the oil, cook 2 – 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Allow to drain on a paper towel-lined dish. Repeat with remaining potato balls.
Serve with your favorite dips, such as ketchup, mustard or ranch dressing.