Parmesan Crusted Zucchini with Barley Pomodoro
Adapted from Taste of Idaho
- 3-4 Zucchini (banana sized)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ pound pearl barley
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- ½ pound Ballard Farms Danish Pearl Cheese cut in ¼” thick slices
- ½ pound assorted young greens
- Oil for cooking
- In a bowl combine grated parmesan and panko bread crumbs.
- Slice the zucchini into ½ inch planks.
- Roll zucchini slices in flour. Shake off excess flour and roll in beaten egg. Let excess egg drip off and press in parmesan and panko mix. Bread all the zucchini and set aside.
- Cook barley like pasta in salted water until it is tender to bite. Strain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat about ½” of oil over medium-high heat. Pan fry the zucchini to brown on both sides. Let the zucchini drain on a towel then place on a baking sheet.
- In a large sauté pan sweat onion, shallot and garlic in 3 tablespoons of light olive oil. Once the onions are translucent add the basil and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for a minute or two and add the barley. Stir everything together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through.
- Top each parmesan crusted zucchini with a slice of Danish pearl. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese has melted.
- For the greens heat a tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan over high heat until it just begins to smoke. Remove the pan from the heat and toss in the greens to just barely wilt. Season lightly. The greens may need to be done in multiple batches.
- To plate spread the barley mix into the middle of the plate. Set some wilted greens on top and the zucchini on top of the greens.