- Prep: 5 hrs 40 mins, including cook time in slow cooker
This easy-to-make recipe combines sautéed leeks, frozen tater tots, and creamy goodness, creating a flavorful soup that’s both satisfying and versatile. Garnish to your heart’s content and savor the warmth in every spoonful. Perfect for cozy gatherings or solo indulgence. Enjoy! Contributed by Laura Fall, MD to the Field to Fork recipe contest.
- 2 to 4 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (about 3 to 4 cups, white and light green parts only)
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt
- 2.5 lbs frozen tater tots (or any frozen potatoes)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- ¼ to ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- Garnishes: Crumbled Falls brand bacon, shredded Glanbia cheese (Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Gruyere, Colby Jack, etc), chopped chives or parsley, hot sauce.
In a large frying pan, melt ¼ cup butter and sauté leeks with salt until soft.
Transfer leeks to a slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray. (If using an Instant Pot, sauté and cook in the same pot.)
Add frozen tater tots and pour in chicken broth; add more water or broth if needed to cover the potatoes by 1 to 1.5 inches.
Season with pepper. Cook on low for 5 hours. If you prefer a smoother soup, blend it with an immersion blender.
Swirl in butter and cream cheese until well mixed and creamy. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with your choice of bacon, cheese, chives or parsley, and a dash of hot sauce.
Serve hot and enjoy this versatile and flavorful soup!