- 5 small golden or mixed colored Idaho beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz baby arugula leaves (about 2 handfuls), washed and chopped-Idaho
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 oz fresh Idaho goat cheese, crumbled
- Idaho honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Rinse the beets and cut off the greens, saving them for another use. Rub the beets with 1 tbsp olive oil, wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet (in case they leak). Bake until you can pierce through the middle of each beet with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool. (This can be done in advance.)
While beets are in oven, prepare the dressing. Mix the remaining 2 tbsp oil with 1/4 cup rice vinegar and sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
When the beets are cool, use a paring knife to remove the skins, which should peel off easily. Cut beets into small wedges.
Add beet wedges to a mixing bowl and toss with chopped arugula and sunflower seeds and dressing. Toss well to combine.
Divide into serving dishes, top with goat cheese, drizzle with honey and serve.