- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 pound fresh nettle leaves, washed and trimmed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the nettle leaves to the pot and stir until they are wilted and coated with the onion and garlic mixture.
Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the nettles are very tender.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream, if desired