Classic Cherry Pie
A tart, fresh cherry pie using Idaho cherries, flour and butter.
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose Idaho flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted local butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 5 cups whole Idaho sour pie cherries, pitted (about 2 pounds whole unpitted cherries) - Garret Ranches, Henggeler Packing Co., Kelley's Canyon Orchard, Northview Orchard, Ribier Gardens, Symms Fruit Ranch, Tyler's Rocky Point Orchard, Williams Fruit Ranch, Wood'n Goat Garden - contact the orchard nearest you to see if and when they have pie cherries available.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted local butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon local milk
- For crust: Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until small pea-size clumps form. Add 5 tablespoons ice water; mix lightly with fork until dough holds together when small pieces are pressed between fingertips, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough together; divide into 2 pieces. Form each piece into ball, then flatten into disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- For filling: Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Whisk 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Stir in cherries, lemon juice, and vanilla; set aside.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch glass pie dish. Trim dough overhang to 1/2 inch. Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Using large knife or pastry wheel with fluted edge, cut ten 3/4-inch-wide strips from dough round. Transfer filling to dough-lined dish, mounding slightly in center. Dot with butter. Arrange dough strips atop filling, forming lattice; trim dough strip overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold bottom crust up over ends of strips and crimp edges to seal. Brush lattice crust (not edges) with milk. Sprinkle lattice with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on rimmed baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake pie until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown, covering edges with foil collar if browning too quickly, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.
- Serve when cool.
- Top with local vanilla ice cream from Meadowgold, Farr's or Cloverleaf Creamery.
- Tart Idaho pie cherries can be found at most farmers markets direct from the grower, farm stands, select retailers or at an orchard with u-pick. This recipe can also be made using the more well-known Idaho sweet cherry varieties - to make sour, use 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Crust can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Let dough soften slightly before rolling out.