Corn Bread and Bacon Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Corn Bread
- 6 slices bread
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 4 medium acorn squash (about 22 ounces each)
- Prepare corn bread using mix or recipe below. When cool, coarsely crumble enough bread to make 3 cups. Toast bread slices and cut into cubes. In skillet cook bacon till crisp. Crumble and set aside. In bacon drippings, cook celery, onion, parsley, poultry seasoning and salt. Add crumbled corn bread and toasted bread cubes. Toss till well mixed. Add enough of the chicken broth to moisten; toss gently to mix. Bake, covered in an ungreased 1 ½ quart casserole dish in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes OR stuff cavity of turkey OR stuff acorn squash.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, milk and oil. Beat just until smooth. Pour into a greased 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut squash in half widthwise. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each half so squash sits flat. Place in a greased 15” x 10” x 1” baking pan. Add about a 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of the baking pan so that the skins don't burn and the squash doesn't get dried out. Coat one side of a large piece of heavy-duty foil with cooking spray. Cover pan tightly with foil, coated side down. Bake at 350° degrees for 30 minutes. Remove squash from oven. Remove foil - being careful of steam. Fill squash halves with about ½ cup stuffing mixture. Re-cover filled squash and return to over. Cook for another 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until stuffing begins to brown.
To cook acorn squash in the microwave:
- Wash squash - pierce and cook on high 2 minutes. Cut in half widthwise. Remove seeds and fibers. Place cut side down in baking dish. Cook 6 minutes on high. . Turn squash over. Fill with stuffing.