Grilled Pork Sirloin with Spicy Onion Puree, Savory Blueberry Compote
- 3 Lbs. Pork Sirloin, cut ¾” thick
- 3 Medium Yellow Onions, Julienned
- 1 Garlic clove, sliced
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pint Blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ small yellow onion, minced
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chives, cut fine
- 3 8 oz. Packages IQF Garden Green Garbanzos
- 1 small red bell pepper, small diced
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive or Salad Oil (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Zucchini, Cut in ½ length wise, then cut in ½” Wedges
- 1 Yellow Squash, Cut in ½ length wise, then cut in ½” Wedges
- 1 Medium Red Onion, cut in ½” Wedges
- ½ Pound Green Beans, Trimmed
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil For Cooking
Spicy onion puree:
- Sauté onions in a tablespoon of oil until they turn an even light brown color. This will take a several minutes and require regular stirring and the heat may need to be reduced to keep from burning. Once the color is achieved add the garlic, cayenne and brown sugar. Cook on low for five more minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool in the pan to room temperature. Once at room temperature, scrape the onions into a food processor with a rubber spatula and puree to smooth. Add water if necessary to facilitate the puree. Season with of salt to taste and set aside.
- Place the ½ cup of sugar in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it is a light caramel color. Add the minced onion and stir. Once the onions begin to cook and release their juice add the cider vinegar. Cook for 10 minutes, or until syrup consistency is reached. Stir in the blueberries and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in chives and a touch of salt. Set aside.
- Toss the zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, and green beans with oil, salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast in a hot (450° F) oven for 15-20 minutes or until the onions begin to brown. Set aside for plating.
Warm green garbanzo salad:
- Warm the green garbanzos over medium heat with the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and oil. Once warm add the unsalted butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in the red bell pepper, green onions and parsley. Set aside until the pork is ready.
- Preheat grill and season the pork with salt and pepper. Grill 3-4 minutes each side or until the pork has an internal temperature of 140° F. The time is dependent on how hot your home grill cooks, so watch them closely.
Finish and Service:
- To plate spoon the green garbanzo salad on to the plate at 10 O’ clock. Place an array of roast vegetables at 2 O’clock. Spread some of the onion puree onto the plate at 6 O’clock. Set the pork sirloin on the onion puree and top the pork with the savory blueberry compote.