- 6 Idaho lamb shanks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Idaho onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds (use local carrots when available)
- 10 cloves garlic, minced (Find Idaho grown garlic at your local Farmers Market)
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle Idaho red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice (Look for tomatoes at your local famers market)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours
Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pot until thickened, about 15 minutes. Spoon over shanks.