Rum Spiced Pumpkin Trifle
A rich and decadent pumpkin trifle featuring local ingredients from Zeppole Baking Co., pumpkin at any local farm and Meadow Gold whipping cream
- 4 cups fresh pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2” size chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 loaf Zeppole Baking Co. Pumpkin Bread
- ¼ cup spiced rum
- 4 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. In a large mixing bowl, toss together pumpkin chunks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and melted butter. Pour the pumpkin mixture out on to the lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender and the sugar has browned on the outside. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the pumpkin bread into thick slices, then into large chunks. Place the cut bread into a large mixing bowl and pour in the 1/4 cup of spiced rum. Stir to coat the bread evenly.
- Chill a large mixing bowl and beater in the freezer for 10 minutes, then remove. Pour whipping cream into chilled bowl and beat on high speed until cream starts to stiffen. Gradually add the sugar and the remaining rum. Whip for 2-3 more minutes, or until very stiff.
- In a large, decorative glass bowl or trifle dish, spread a layer of the whipped cream. Spread half of the pumpkin over the top, and follow with half of the soaked pumpkin bread. Repeat with a second layer of whipped cream, then the last layers of pumpkin and pumpkin bread. Finish the trifle with the last layer of whipped cream. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and nutmeg and place trifle in the refrigerator until serving time.