Turkey Tostada with Refried Lentils
Idaho Preferred products: A+ Turkey Ranch or Robbins Family Farms turkey, D'Arcy's pickled jalapenos, Casa Valdez tortillas, Zursun Idaho Heirloom lentils, Owyhee Produce onions, Sweet Valley Organics tomato juice, Treasure Valley salsa, Meadow Gold sour cream, local herbs
- 3 cups cooked turkey meat, shredded
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, divided
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- salsa, sour cream or guacamole (if desired)
- Mix shredded turkey with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and refrigerate while cooking lentils.
- To cook lentils, mix chicken broth, tomato juice, garlic, 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, 4 tablespoons cilantro and uncooked lentils in a large baking pan or oven-safe dutch oven. Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- Mix cooked barley with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning and set aside.
- When lentils are tender, remove pan from oven. Put cooked lentils in a food processor and blend until they resemble the texture of refried beans, adding chicken broth if needed. (Note: if you do not have a food processor, try smashing the beans with a fork.) Season with additional taco seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Cut tortillas into 1 inch wide strips. Pour oil into frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry tortilla strips in small batches and drain on paper towels.
- To assemble tostada: place fried tortilla strips on large platter or baking tray. Top with refried lentils, then add a layer of cooked barley and half of the shredded cheese. Continue layering with shredded lettuce, chopped onion and tomoato. Finsih with a layer of shredded turkey, remaining cheese, cilantro and sliced pickled jalapeno peppers.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole if desired.