Pumpkin or Squash Soup
- 1 small (5 pound) pumpkin OR ½ of a medium banana squash
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 ½ cups chicken or turkey broth
- ½ cup water
- Cut pumpkin or squash in quarters and remove seeds. Place pumpkin/squash cut side down on jelly roll pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 400° oven for about 45 minutes or until very tender when pierced with a knife. Cool. Remove skin and place pumpkin/squash in large bowl.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery and onion and cook approximately 10 minutes. Stir in cumin, chili, salt and pepper. Add broth, water and pumpkin/squash to sauce pan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour half of soup mixture into a food processor and blend until pureed. Repeat with remaining soup mixture. Pour all soup into tureen and keep warm. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds or fresh chives if desired.
Pumpkin or Squash:
- Wissel Farms – 11085 Lake Lowell Rd, Nampa
- Reggies Veggies
- The Berry Ranch – pie pumpkins at some Walmart stores
- Fort Boise Onions – Walmart and Winco